Digital Skills To Promote EU Cultural Routes
FAB Routes is a KA202 - Strategic Partnerships for vocational education and training project, co-funded by the Erasmus + programme under the Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices call. The general objective of the project is to design a new training methodology and educational module aimed at fostering and enriching the knowledge and transversal competences of the staff members and operators of the EU Cultural Routes (CRs) recognized by the Council of Europe, in order to improve CRs management and promotion in the field of sustainable and cultural tourism.
The FAB Routes project brings together:
- 6 certified Cultural Routes: ATRIUM, Phoenicians' Route, European Route of Jewish Heritage, Routes of the Olive Tree, European Routes of Emperor Charles V, VIA REGIA
- University of Bologna (CAST - Centre for Advanced Studies in Tourism)
- ARGO, a consultancy firm with expertise on EU funds and communication activities
The operators of cultural routes are required to be multitasking and to have project management, marketing and communication skills. However, they are usually not provided with adequate professional training opportunities. Besides this, there is a series of challenges, the 38 Cultural Routes of the Council of Europe have to face, such as:
- lack of training occasions for the professional development of operators employed by the CRs;
- problems in the development of innovative training and management models targeted to CRs staff;
- lack of knowledge and competences for the creation of quality cultural and tourism products;
- the scarce economic resources available to cultural route coordinators organisations;
- the lack of funds allocated to innovative training methodology support, in particular to professions related to cultural routes;
- the high standards required to maintain the label of Cultural Route of the Council of Europe;
- the lack of a strong and strategic alliance among the routes and private/public sectors involved in local tourism and cultural services.
The FAB Routes project aims at
- improving the local and transnational impact of European Cultural Routes on cultural tourism development. For this purpose, the partnership will elaborate a model strategy to integrate cultural routes within the turistic services system. This goal represents the starting point of the project and aims at allowing the partners to better understand their local/regional cultural and touristic systems in order to plan concrete activities and improve the impact of cultural routes.
- improving current strategies of cultural routes regarding their cooperation with cultural and economic stakeholders and networking management. Managers of European cultural Routes need to improve their skills and knowledge on several topics, such as Cultural heritage management, Project management focused on sustainability, Audience analysis and development, Cultural marketing and branding, Public engagement, Capacity building and more.
The partners will elaborate a tailored training methodology to improve the competences of cultural routes operators. By implementing a variety of activities, the project pursues the following results:
- Improvement of specific skills and competences of Cultural Route operators required to manage the European Cultural itineraries certified by the Council of Europe in a more efficient way.
- Improved transnational connectivity of the Cultural Routes network.
- Realisation of innovative outputs.
- Organization of 6 national events to properly disseminate the project's outputs and to concretely involve participants in exploitaing the intellectual outputs.
- a Model Strategy and 6 tailored Cultural Route Officer Professional Profiles to be adopted and used for recruitment procedures and planning of future training activities;
- a Training Methodology to support cultural routes in training their operators;
- a general Cultural Route Officer Professional Profile that can be adopted by all cultural routes and thus facilitate the recruitment procedures.
Duration and Budget
The project, which will last 24 months (1 October 2020 - 30 September 2022), with a budget of 299.834,00 Euro.
Find out more about FAB ROUTES on its Facebook profile.