The heart of public life
According to the functional design of the planned community, Piazza Impero was the core of the new town and the heart of its public life. The square is dominated by the town hall, which recalls similar constructions of other planned communities of that period, with the balcony and the typical square tower. On the eastern side of the square stands the school, one of the first civic structures completed in 1938.
The original plan
The square was designed by the architect Giuseppe De Min in 1940 according to the architectural taste of the time. Its design was inspired by the metaphysical paintings of Giorgio De Chirico. In the original plan, the stone-paved square had four classical-style statues, but these were never placed.